PDA

View Full Version : Ice Thickness

Pages : [1] 2

arcticcatsnow
12-03-2007, 06:08 PM
With all this talk about the snow and opening trails up and the fact that someone already fell through the wolf river on a snowmobile i was wondering how the ice conditions are up north with all this snow.. Becuase to me its not worth opening the trails if the lakes arent safe yet.

Old Cat Man
12-03-2007, 06:15 PM
We were up in Townsend and our lake is at least 4-5" of ice. I mean we can't base things one two people out way to late and a couple of drinks going in the water. I mean what is a pregant woman doing out at 2:30AM?
And it should be colder all week so should be making ice now for sure.

arcticcatsnow
12-03-2007, 06:50 PM
ya i know that they shouldnt have been out that late, but it got me wondering how thick the ice is because i havent been able to make it up since deer hunting when the lakes were still open

kuczala_21
12-03-2007, 09:23 PM
If i remember correctly most of the lakes have 4-6.. I know someone has a shack out over in crandon. also a few friends went out fishin the other weekend..

Sleddog600
12-05-2007, 12:08 AM
Rivers freeze last and this is not far north. All kinds of questions: How many beers did it take to think riding on the semi-frozen Wolf River in early December is a good idea? What is a 6-months-pregnant woman doing driving a snowmobile, on a semi-frozen river at 3:00 in the morning? Who's sled WAS it?

:brrrr:

###News Story###
Man, pregnant woman swim 50 yards for help after snowmobile goes through ice
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

A 22-year-old pregnant woman and a 29-year-old man were cold but otherwise unharmed after their snowmobile fell through the ice on the Wolf River early Sunday morning.

Jennifer Pliska of Stevens Point and Shaun Wenzel of Fremont had to swim about 50 yards to get help after their 2001 Ski Doo snowmobile went through the ice at 2:59 a.m. Sunday.

Pliska, who is six months pregnant, was taken to Riverside Medical Center in Waupaca, said Winnebago County Sheriff's Department Lieutenant Todd Christopherson.

"They were driving on the Wolf River and fell through some thin ice," he said. "The snowmobile is currently at the bottom of the Wolf River."

Pliska was listed as the driver of the snowmobile and Wenzel as the passenger, but the snowmobile was not registered to either user.

Paul Jenson, spokesman for Riverside Medical Center, said Pliska was treated and released from the hospital after the crash.

Christopherson said the ice is not thick enough for people to be using their snowmobiles on the water yet.

"That's not a very good idea right now, especially on a river with the currents," he said. "That's the last you place you want to be and even when the lakes freeze, the rivers are always the last to freeze."

Typically, ice should be at least 12 inches thick before people ride their snowmobiles on it, Christopherson said.

Dreadan
12-05-2007, 08:41 AM
sounds like whoever was driving was going for a darwin award

05FireCat600SP
12-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Typically, ice should be at least 12 inches thick before people ride their snowmobiles on it, Christopherson said.

OK....I dont think I fully agree with this 12 inches. IMO, ice that is 6" with no snow on top of it is plenty safe for a snowmobile but with snow on top give it 2" more and I wouldnt hessitate. Well to me im on the ice with my sled with 4" of ice provided I can get traction and keep my slids wet.

arcticcatsnow
12-05-2007, 07:22 PM
hell, if people walk on the the lakes to ice fish with only 3" then i think it would be safe enough for a snowmobile to go across (as long as there arent springs, like lucerne)

toolman
12-05-2007, 11:27 PM
They say 4" for Walking / Ice Fishing
5" for Snowmobiles / ATV's
8" - 12" Cars and small trucks
12" - 15" Trucks

http://www.nwosta.ca/icethicknesschart.php

arcticcatsnow
12-06-2007, 12:59 AM
i would think that snowmobiles would need less ice than people walking because the weight more displaced over a greater region. During my snowmobile saftey i thought it said something like 1 sled = 100 people standing or something... i could be wrong though.....

410shooter
12-06-2007, 12:35 PM
It may be more dispersed but think about the weight. Sled 4-5 hundred pounds plus a rider. Could be 6-7 hundred pounds easy.

i would think that snowmobiles would need less ice than people walking because the weight more displaced over a greater region. During my snowmobile saftey i thought it said something like 1 sled = 100 people standing or something... i could be wrong though.....

I Doo
12-06-2007, 03:12 PM

You are correct. That is what they say in safety school. Just got finished teaching the class.

2sleds
12-08-2007, 07:50 PM
these guys dont mind open water...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4wM-K63hGgo

Sleddog600
12-11-2007, 12:11 AM
Second body found after snowmobile fell through ice on Rock River

The Associated Press

JEFFERSON — The body of the second victim of a weekend accident in which a snowmobile fell through ice on the Rock River was recovered Monday, authorities said.

The body of Gerard Debaets, 40, of Watertown, was found Monday in the river in the town of Aztalan. Wendy Heiman, 36, of Watertown, was pulled from the river Saturday evening and pronounced dead at Watertown Memorial Hospital.

The Johnson Creek Fire Department said a third snowmobile operator, Brian Nimm, 39, of Watertown, also was at the scene.

“We have been able to learn that three individuals on three machines were riding south on the Rock River. Nimm broke through the ice initially and his vehicle sank,” state Department of Natural Resources warden David Walz said.

“He got out of the water, and the others stopped, of course. Gerard and Wendy got on the same machine and they wanted to get (Nimm) out of the cold. But instead of getting off the ice, they continued south to a location where the river bank wasn’t so steep. They traveled another 250 to 300 yards and Wendy and Gerard broke through.”

Sheriff’s deputies, DNR wardens and emergency personnel from a number of agencies responded to the scene. An unsuccessful search for Debaets’ body had been conducted Sunday, authorities said.

“It seems like every year, somebody, somewhere in the state, dies riding on ice early in the season,” Walz said.

robertslakejoe
12-13-2007, 08:48 PM
With all this talk about the snow and opening trails up and the fact that someone already fell through the wolf river on a snowmobile i was wondering how the ice conditions are up north with all this snow.. Becuase to me its not worth opening the trails if the lakes arent safe yet.

they are ice fishing on roberts and its been cold so I'm sure the lakes should be good

robertslakejoe
12-13-2007, 08:58 PM
does anyone no if Johnnie got his tree up on the lake yet?:)

Johnnie
12-15-2007, 01:38 PM
The tree went up last Sat. on Wabikon Lk. The earliest in years!! I have your stool saved!!!

Jim
12-15-2007, 06:37 PM
I have your stool saved!!!I was going to save mine from Dallas! :p

Dreadan
12-15-2007, 09:32 PM
are we still talking about a chair :rolleyes: :confused:

Jim
12-16-2007, 02:40 AM
:lol:

Matt
12-16-2007, 10:42 PM
:lol:

this thread sure took a crappy turn... :)

Sleddog600
12-16-2007, 11:34 PM
Someone dropped a pickup through off north shore of Lake Winnebago Saturday in front of Waverly Beach, fell in the drink up to the door handles. (later removed) There were no vehicles going out very far, some running the shoreline on the ice. Not a good idea!

Jim
12-16-2007, 11:48 PM
Nice pic to show the dangers of (early or any) ice.

Jim
12-16-2007, 11:49 PM
this thread sure took a crappy turn... :)Funny. ;)

Jim
12-17-2007, 12:05 AM
I knew some guys in Mosinee, WI that fished on a back slough off the Wisconsin River. They'd head out on 2" of ice. Of course, you'd want to avoid that "false channel" where the ice was much thinner, and take the long walk around to the point. Every year, there was someone going through the ice, and sometimes more than once! :eek: I never (knock on solid ice) fell through, but came close once, when I had a leg go through. The back slough was very shallow, and for the most part not over your head. :o But we used to pull some monsters out of there. My 40" Northern Pike came from there. They had a 40/30 rule. 40" on Northerns, 30" on Walleye. Everything else got released.